Sunday, April 6, 2014

Wij zijn niet van suiker


This morning when I awoke at 5:45 am, I heard rain hitting the ground but managed to talk myself out of bed to ride into work. The whole way was pleasant, cool, and actually pretty dry! 

A half a mile from work, home free (or so I thought), "Wow!" said I. "That wasn't so bad! It hardly rained on me at all!" As the words came out of my mouth, the sky opened. Complete deluge. So now I sit wrapped in a blankie, waiting for my shoes, jacket, and the rest of me to dry. 


That gibberish at the top is one of my favorite Dutch idioms to whip out on Austinites who stay in for weather - "You're not made of sugar!" And considering how well-acquainted the Dutch are with bikes and rain, I'm willing to take their word for it. I could use a longer rain jacket, though. You win this round, Mother Nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment